Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Egyptian Revolution and their Queens

Recently a historical event took place in Egypt. After enduring harsh realities from a government which included, secret police and economic domination, the Egyptian people led an 18-day revolution. Within recent histories revolutions have not been as successful as the Egyptian pursuit of freedom. Due to social media and other new technological advances this revolution was communicated throughout the world and many supported in solidarity.
I watched as a historical moment took place, from Mubarak stepping down and the Egyptian people celebrating in Tahrir/Liberation Square. I considered the role of Egyptian women in this revolution. I questioned how they considered their intimate oppression via State and male domination while supporting the revolution. According to scholars such as Sherry B. Ortner, gender subordination is universal.  For Egyptian women, the authoritarian governments that have governed Egypt for the last 60 years have demonstrated gender oppression through undermining women’s organizations, sexual molestation and other forms of physical abuse. Nevertheless, Egyptian women have taken critical roles in the political processes of Egypt. Women were active in 1919 when Egypt pursued independence from Britain.
An article by Ursula Lindsey discusses the experiences of young women during this time. A twenty-one year old student comes a hundred miles away to volunteer. Her duties include, monitoring the entrance of Tahrir square, checking identification, and searching bags.” Her response concerning this historical event is empowering, "How many billions does he have, and we the people live in huts and don't know how to feed ourselves?"  She said. "There needs to be some balance. Not people at the very top and at the very bottom. I want to see democracy in my country, and I have to sacrifice for it. I have to be ready to die, to be arrested. I can't sit at home and say: I want freedom." (Lindsey, Women in the Egyptian Protests)

No comments:

Post a Comment